Monday, November 7, 2011

It's A Lifestyle! - May 2011

By: Shallin Squire

    On April 18, 2011, Jenny Wall crossed the finish line at the Salt Lake City Marathon. Her journey, though, began long before the starting line that lay 26.2 miles behind her.

    Turn back the calendar to May of 2009. Try to picture a 257-pound Jenny getting "short of breath, red in the face, and sweaty" from walking up the steps to her internship at Roosevelt Jr. High.

    On May 20, 2009, Jenny's grandmother, who had been more like a mother to Jenny for much of her life, passed away. Her grandfather was simultaneously dying of pancreatic cancer, and his suffering had a profound effect upon Jenny. She explained: "My grandfather had been heavy all his life, and he suffered from a lot of health problems as a result, including Type 2 Diabetes. It was at that point that I thought, 'I don't want to die.' I honestly felt like I was approaching death, and I knew if I didn't do something about my health soon, I would die. I wanted to live."

    Jenny made up her mind at that moment to change her lifestyle. She started by giving up soda and made gradual changes from there.

    Mrs. Wall, as her students know her, had been working plus going to college for many years. She explained, "I went straight from the Bachelor's program to the Master's program to the Administrator's program. I was a good student. I attended my classes, did my homework, and received good grades. But I had been taking care of my mind long enough; now it was time to focus on taking care of my body." The very day after completing her final exams, Jenny signed up with a personal trainer.

    "I decided I would treat my training just like school. So, every night after work, I went to the gym. That was my homework." Accustomed to 2-year-long college programs, Jenny told herself that this, too, would be at least a 2-year process, requiring constant effort. Then she related her lifestyle change to education in one more important way: just as a good educator relies on continuing education to get the latest information and sharpen her skills, Jenny told herself that even after reaching her goal weight, she would continue to work out and eat healthfully for the rest of her life.

    Prior to July of 2009, Jenny had zero running experience. "I had never run a day in my life," she stated. "So, I started by doing what I could. I'd run for 30 seconds, and then it would take me 5 minutes to catch my breath, but I just kept doing it, and I gradually improved."

    As Jenny's fitness level improved, she began doing things she'd always wanted to do, such as hiking Mount Timpanogas.

    Being able to hike and participate in outdoor activities were themselves a reward to Jenny, but she kept herself motivated with additional rewards along the way. When she'd lost 10% of the weight she planned to lose, she bought herself a Body Bug to aid in her weight-loss journey. "My next mini-goal reward is to get a passport," she explained happily. I can't afford to go on vacation right now, but if I have the passport, I'm one step closer."

    Other self-motivating rewards have included trips to Moab to hike or visiting a good friend who lives in Brigham City. "Your rewards don't have to be expensive or grand in any way," Jenny stated. "They just have to keep you motivated, and you have to be flexible. When you hit a plateau, focus on rewards for achieving your weekly work out goals rather than reaching a certain weight."

    One of Jenny's motivational weight-loss "secrets" is to always have an attractive outfit hanging in her closet that is 2 sizes too small. "I try it on periodically, and as soon as it fits and I get to wear it, I buy myself an outfit 2 sizes smaller than that."

    Jenny is also motivated by her work-out "buddy"–her husband Glen. Glen had lived a healthy lifestyle for many years before Jenny adopted one, and he encouraged her to do so. "It had to be my choice, though," Jenny explained. "No one can make the decision to change for you. But now I don't know what I would do without Glen's support. He doesn't enjoy the distance running as much as I do, and I can't lift nearly as much weight as he can, so we push each other. I push him to run further, and he pushes me to lift more. We push each other until we can literally say to the other, 'I couldn't do one more if I tried.'"

    Glen supported Jenny by running a half marathon with her, but he doesn't have a desire to run a full marathon. "However, he's still there to support me," she said. "He volunteered at the Salt Lake City Marathon, and he was the one who put the ribbon around my neck after I crossed the finish line."

    In less than 2 years, Jenny has lost a staggering 110 pounds. "I have more to lose," she acknowledged, "but I'm so much healthier, and I feel so much better."

    Jenny's body has changed so significantly that many people, including former students and their parents, have difficulty recognizing Jenny. That doesn't bother her, but Jenny said there is one common question she doesn't care for: "I often get asked, 'What diet are you on?' I'm not on a diet. I didn't starve the weight off or follow a fad diet. I did it one step at a time, and I made a lifestyle change. Being 'on a diet' implies that someday one will be 'off' the diet, but that's not true in my case. I look at food differently. It's an energy source. I think of my upcoming work outs and ask myself, 'What would be the best thing to eat?'"        

    It took Jenny nearly 2 years to be able to finish a marathon, and she stated that it was the hardest thing she has ever done. She injured her knee by stepping in a pothole near mile 17, and she was in so much pain that she seriously considered quitting at mile 20, but she pressed on. "Glen and I have a saying hanging in our work-out room," she said. "It says, 'You miss 100% of the shots you don't take.' I decided that it didn't matter if I finished last. I wasn't going to let fear of failure get in my way, and I finished. I was in pain, but it didn't matter. The feeling of accomplishment was worth it."

    The next morning, knee still hurting, Jenny got on the internet and registered for 6 more marathons, which will all take place in 2011.

    When asked if she had advice for anyone who might be considering adopting a healthier lifestyle, Jenny declared, "It's not something that happens overnight. It takes a long time to put the weight on, and it takes a long time to get it off, but everyday you make a positive change is one day closer to your goal."

 
 



 

No comments:

Post a Comment